I can say with no hesitation that Coconut Water is by a mile my favorite drink. I could drink it all day long instead of water. Love it. Love it. Love it. But besides that little detail, I also drink Coconut Water every single day because it has a good amount of phytonutrients, electrolytes, vitamins and minerals, it is one of the best things to keep me hydrated from inside out (and I am a hydration freak as you probably already know) and last but never least, it is a great source of potassium, a mineral I need in extra doses to keep at bay some OverMethylation side effects and I do prefer to drink it rather than take a pill for it. And yes, I am yet to talk about Methylation, so stay tuned cause soon I will.
Anyways, every day after my morning walks I rest for a while drinking some refreshing Coconut Water. That is the best moment for me to indulge in it. It is my little ritual. Afterwards I feel cooled down and restored. But you could also drink a little bit here and there throughout the day.
Other facts and benefits of my beloved Coconut Water:
- It has only 46 calories in a 240 ml, 3g of fiber, 2g of protein, 10% of RDI Vitamin C, 15% of RDI Magnesium, 17% of RDI Manganese, 17% of RDI Potassium, 11% of RDI Sodium, 6% of RDI Calcium.
- It may help lower blood pressure. Or at least keep it in its healthy range.
- It may prevent and/or address cramping. It is way better than a banana for it, thanks to its Potassium levels.
- It is healthier and in some cases can be better in terms of nutrients than a sports drink as well. It will all depends on which nutrients you are after.
- It may provide cardioprotective effects due its nutrients.
- It may reduce the risk of kidney stones.
- It may help to address diabetes.
- It may protect against oxidative stress.
- It may maintain bone, teeth health and muscle strength.
- It is one of the best ways to keep the body well hydrated.
- It aids the body to retain hydration.
- It helps to maintain the proper fluid balance in the body.
But like everything in life, approach with moderation. Since Coconut Water has a high level of Potassium, it can lead to an OD of it (Hyperkalemia.) And it can be dangerous. It also can lower way too much your blood pressure, causing irregular heartbeat, a heart attack and even paralysis.